By Katie Shatzer
This month, we pulled out the grill and began to embrace the flavors of summer. From that slight char on a burger to the crunch of fresh zucchini, summer food is about savoring the moment. And that’s my goal for this summer in general — slow down, appreciate the moment and eat some good food.
Find some inspiration in the summer recipe ideas and relaxation tips in our May web finds:
- If you enjoy a good burger (made with grass-fed, hormone-free beef, of course), it’s hard to beat one cooked on the grill. Topped with cheese. And bacon. Need I say more to convince you that these Bacon Cheddar Ranch Pub Burgers from simply scratch are a good idea?
- For the vegan crowd (or really, any crowd — who says meat-eaters and vegans can’t enjoy the same good recipe), we have a solution to the woeful summer problem of over-producing zucchini plants. Try using them in place of taco shells, as in this stuffed zucchini recipe from We Heart Vegan.
- No matter what you’re grilling, cooking or snacking on, spices matter. You want quality spices, not just any spices, as this excellent article from the Splendid Table explains.
- Now that you have some good summer recipe ideas, make sure you take time to slow down and enjoy the season! MindBodyGreen gives us 11 easy ways to do just that in this article.
- If yoga is how you unwind, then make sure you keep yourself and your yoga mat fresh throughout the warmer (perhaps sweatier?) months. In a recent blog post for Alignyo, Aura Cacia aromatherapist/educator Charlynn Avery shares the best essential oils for a post-yoga refresh, including lime.
How do you relax during the summer?
About the author: Katie coordinates social media for Frontier, Simply Organic and Aura Cacia — which means her head is usually spinning with Web content ideas and her iPhone rarely leaves her sight. When she’s not giggling at the latest memes or researching social media trends, Katie loves to run, read multiple books at once, and experiment in the kitchen.