By Tom Havran
Since, according to our mission statement at Frontier, we are in the business of nourishing people and planet, we thought it would be good to brainstorm a list of nourishing suggestions for you to try in the new year. We started with the word “consciousness” and thought about two themes: culinary consciousness and positive self-consciousness. Since most new year’s resolutions seem to focus on beating one’s self up with new diet restrictions and self-improvement of the boot camp to vainglorious body-consciousness kind, we tried to build a more holistic list of 14 ways to live more consciously this year.
Everybody wants to eat better, but there’s no harm in treating yourself to something decadent once in a while if you consume the treat mindfully and choose not to beat yourself up over it. Also, expand your mind and your experience by resolving to try new foods and learn some simple cooking techniques this year.
9 ways to explore your culinary consciousness in 2014:
- Make a nut or seed milk from scratch, such as homemade almond milk.
- Make a homemade soup stock.
- Make your own curry blend.
- Heard of Meatless Mondays? Start your own weekly food tradition, like Vegan Tuesdays, All-Organic Thursdays or New Recipe Fridays.
- Try a new spice.
- Try a new cuisine.
- Document a treasured family recipe.
- Have a cup of tea instead of coffee, or have a cup of coffee instead of tea.
- Eat something decadent — and enjoy it!
Be more self-conscious, in a positive way! Make time to treat yourself to some soothing body care or easy, stress-reducing exercise. Also, make a conscious commitment to be aware of yourself and you presence in the world.
- Take an aromatherapy bath.
- Love lavender? Try helichrysum.
- Start a gratitude journal.
- Just be kind to yourself, especially in the face of any challenges that 2014 puts in your path.
How are you resolving to live more consciously this year?
About the author: Tom is communicator of natural living for Frontier, Simply Organic and Aura Cacia brands. In other words, he’s a very imaginative copywriter. A local boy, raised on a farm just down the road from the company’s headquarters in Norway, Tom enjoys drawing, plant hoarding, cooking and living the simple life in the beautiful state of Iowa.